Date:      Fri, 25 May 2018 14:28:42 -0700
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFC: Create a default wlan for wireless NICs

>From the bikeshed department....

The change at https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15481 would create a default
wlan for wireless NICs by default.  The default wlan's ifnet name would
match the name of the adapter (e.g. "iwn0").  Existing configurations
would still be honored and people who need multiple wlan devices can
still do so using existing configuration variables in rc.conf, etc.

However, the out of the box experience on a new machine would be that
'ifconfig iwn0' would Just Work(tm) for wireless NICs as it does now for
wired NICs, and you could just use 'ifconfig_iwn0="WPA DHCP"' in rc.conf.
I think this is more consistent with how we present NICs to users in
general.

--
John Baldwin