Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:47:14 +0000
From:      Matthew Law <matt@matthewlaw.plus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Perl undefined symbol errors

Hello,

I am having issues with Perl and wondered if someone might be able to
help.  For example, I installed from ports, anomy-sanitizer.
Occasionally I see the following error when run from procmail:

/usr/local/bin/sanitizer.pl,/usr/local/etc/sanitizer.cfg"
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/mach/auto/Digest/MD5/MD5.so:
Undefined symbol "Perl_malloc"

I am using FreeBSD 5.3.  All ports were installed straight after an
update to ports-all with cvsup.

It's difficult for me to debug since it only happens occasionally.
Would I be correct in thinking that these errors occur because perl
expects it's libs in a different place to where they are in FreeBSD?

Is this a known problem and what is the solution?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.