Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:04:25 -0600
From:      Douglas Myers <doug@documgmt.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   1.) 20G IDE tape 2.) silo overflow

Hello,

I have a couple of questions. I run Freebsd on several systems (nothing
short of excellent).  The ones in question are running 3.0.  I have
recently purchased a 20G Seagate IDE tape drive that I would like to be
able to use with a Freebsd system.  The kernel appears to have support for
some IDE tape drives but this one does not work. My questions are 1.) does
the IDE tape support work on smaller drives? 2.) If so, is anyone working
on the newer, larger drives? 3.) If not, or they need assistance I would be
willing to help with this development (I have a strong Unix background
including kernel device drivers and 20 years of software development
experience).

My second question regards an error message from the kernel.  The message
is sio0: silo overflow which seems to indicate received characters overflow
on the 16650.  This is coming from the serial port on the motherboard of
Dell 350Mhz system.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  I suspect
it has to do with interrrupt configuration on the motherboard resulting in
missed interrupts, I also tried to putting in an ISA serial card and had
the same problem but not as severe.  I've tried both irq3 and irq4 and made
sure that these interrupts were reserved for ISA devices and that nothing
else was on that interrupt.  I have successfully used the sio driver on
other systems without this error.

Thanks for any suggestions you can send my way (I checked the handbook and
FAQ's first but didn't find anything relevant).

Douglas Myers
Email: doug@documgmt.com
Voice: 309-694-8112
Fax: 309-694-8113