Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:19:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ross Alexander <rwa@athabascau.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: umass: AutoSense failed

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010, Harad Weiss wrote

> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 22:59:17 +0100
> From: Harald Weis <hawei@free.fr>
> Subject: Re: umass: AutoSense failed
> To: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
> Cc: Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
>
> [big snip]
>
> The AutoSense failure occurs on two desktop computers, whether
> motherboard or not, and on three laptops. As I said, all PC's
> run 8.1-RELEASE.
> What I do not know is whether the Sony DSC (Digital Still Camera) has
> worked on 8.0-RELEASE. I didn't use it for some time, so I'm afraid
> I never tried it on 8.x.
> But I am sure it worked on all earlier releases.
> In my original post I have forgotten to mention that I never had any
> problems with all sorts of thumbdrives and USB disks.
> Fortunately, I can read the 256MB CF memory of the DSC on an Ubuntu
> laptop.
> Could it possibly be a DSC hardware problem which is ignored by Ubuntu,
> but not by FreeBSD?

My Sony DSC camera did work under 8.0-RELEASE.  It's a model DSC-W35.
It's seeing the umass problem now, and has since 8.1-PRERELEASE afair.

This fault is the same on i386 or amd64, intel or amd chipsets, USB
1.0 or 2.0, through hubs or straight off the m/b, etc..  I'm keeping a
backup box (intel atom / i386) running 7.3-STABLE around specifically
to work around the problem.  I'd have said something eralier, but I've
gotten used to small nits poppping up and then disappearing; this one
is dragging along :(

sincerest regards,
Ross
--
Ross Alexander, (780) 675-6823 / (780) 689-0749, rwa@athabascau.ca

 	"Always do right. This will gratify some people,
 	 and astound the rest."  -- Samuel Clemens

__
---