Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:47:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jkim@FreeBSD.ORG, AndriyGapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Subject:   Re: 8.1-PRERELEASE: CPU packages not detected correctly

Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > Jung-uk Kim wrote:
 > > > [...]
 > > > I think that your addition achieves this effect, perhaps just not
 > > > as explicitly as I would preferred.
 > > >
 > > > Jung-uk, what do you think?
 > >
 > > Yes, you're right.  Please try new patch:
 > >
 > > http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/mp_machdep2.diff
 >
 > Thank you!
 >
 > I will have access to that particular machine on Monday again,
 > so testing the new patch will have to wait until Monday.
 > But from looking at your patch it should have the same result
 > as my simpler patch, so it should work fine.

As expected, the patch works perfectly fine.
The cores are detected correctly:

FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 8 CPUs
FreeBSD/SMP: 2 package(s) x 4 core(s)

kern.sched.topology_spec: <groups>
 <group level="1" cache-level="0">
  <cpu count="8" mask="0xff">0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7</cpu>
  <flags></flags>
  <children>
   <group level="3" cache-level="2">
    <cpu count="4" mask="0xf">0, 1, 2, 3</cpu>
    <flags></flags>
   </group>
   <group level="3" cache-level="2">
    <cpu count="4" mask="0xf0">4, 5, 6, 7</cpu>
    <flags></flags>
   </group>
  </children>
 </group>
</groups>

Thanks for fixing this!

Best regards
   Oliver

Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse.
        -- Larry Wall