Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 21:26:24 +0200
From:      "Philippe Charnier" <charnier@xp11.frmug.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   mysterious hangs (solved)

Hello,

For a long time now, I had mysterious hangs. As I'm running current, I
didn't really take care of them because -current is not intended to be
stable and people also had problems (that is the game). After 2.1.5,
-current seems to be ok for people and I still have problems with my
box. Particularly after an idle time, when the activity is increasing
again. As I use 3 disks for swapping, I thought this was because of a
too important need of power, so I disabled one of the swap areas. I was
close to the solution when for the first time I decided to stay at the
console (I usually start X) and wait, wait, ...

I finally got the answer: trap 19 NMI (aka power fail NMI), bingo! I since
run a kernel with `options POWERFAIL_NMI' and for the first time received
a beep and a
        Aug 19 20:31:35 xp11 /kernel: NMI: power fail
as expected, but my box is *still* alive.

I hope this can help!

Philippe Charnier                               charnier@lirmm.fr (smtp)
                                          charnier@xp11.frmug.org (uucp)

    ``a PC not running FreeBSD is like a venusian with no tentacles''