Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:42:16 -0800
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   inetd/hostname failures

I've recently started having the following show up in my security run
output:

lilbuddy.antsclimbtree.com kernel log messages:
> me: getaddrinfo(adsl-66-122-112-170.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net, AF_INET)
> failed

I also had failures of the following kind:

Nov  7 08:33:34 lilbuddy inetd[68076]: refused connection from
63.202.185.83, service imapd (tcp)
Nov  7 12:18:43 lilbuddy inetd[69441]: refused connection from
66.122.112.170, service imapd (tcp)

I worked around the inetd issue by commenting out the following in
/etc/hosts.allow:

#ALL : PARANOID : RFC931 20 : deny

The thing is both of the IP's in question (66.122.112.170 and
63.202.185.83) have been connecting daily with no problem whatsoever
for over a year.  All of a sudden these refusals started, and I haven't
changed anything on my end.

My questions:

1) What is the best way to troubleshoot the getaddrinfo failure above?
What is the failure, exactly?  Poking around with nslookup and dig
doesn't reveal anything, at least to me.

2) The inetd failure seems related to the IP's in question not having
the same reverse/forward DNS entries.  However, this has been the case
for over a year and I haven't had the failure until recently.  What has
changed to cause this failure?

3) Is disabling ALL : PARANOID : RFC931 20 : deny a bad idea?

One interesting thing is that both of these IP addresses are owned by
pacbell.net.  My guess is that pacbell messed something up on their
end.  I run the network at 66.122.112.170, and nothing significant has
changed.  I tweaked the firewall there, but disabling it doesn't change
anything so I don't think it is related to the firewall.  I'm not
looking forward to trying to explain this to pacbell ...

Thanks for any suggestions.  Please CC me in any replies, as I'm on the
digest.

--
Mark Edwards
San Francisco, CA