Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:04:02 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   TV tuner in Australia

I've just bought a Hauppage WinTV-GO model 686 and I'm having trouble
sorting out all the possible reasons why it doesn't work.
I get three channels (using fxtv), but only in black and white with
a hint of pastel colours, and no sound whatsoever.

For starters it doesn't look real good in dmesg:

bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xe8002000-0xe8002fff irq 11 at device 9.0 on pci0
iicbb0: <I2C generic bit-banging driver> on bti2c0
iicbus0: <Philips I2C bus> on iicbb0 master-only
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on bti2c0
bktr0: Hauppauge Model 44844 D148
bktr0: Warning - Unknown Hauppauge Tuner 0x30
bktr0: Detected a MSP3415G-B8 at 0x80
bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips NTSC tuner, msp3400c stereo.
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x109e, dev=0x0878) at 9.1 irq 11

but the fact that it does pick up something gives me hope.

Now those who understand TV tell me that we use PAL B here, and that
we can get both VHS and UHF which is better. I only have a VHS
external antenna, and a small indoor one which does UHF. A real TV
worked here, badly but plenty good enough for me, with either
antenna. I don't mind black and white, snowy and yuk, but I'd like
to get a couple more channels or at least some sound.

Does the fact that it presents as "NTSC tuner" in dmesg mean that
I can't use it here because we're PAL? (Yes I remembered to select
PAL in fxtv, and tried the others just in case.)

Am I likely to be seeing sound problems similar to PR kern/46872 ?
If so, that patch looks like it has all the wrong numbers for me :-(

If this card simply isn't ever going to work, for which reason and
how can I check that another card will work before purchase?
If there is hope for getting this tuner to work better, or at least
give audio, which problem should I be tackling first?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-