Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 22:58:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Melanson <wjm@gate.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XPM and /etc/XF86Config

When I start xpm it displays at the default 8bpp. I've scoured through
almost all documentations (html references, man pages and README's) in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ to no avail. Is there some simple prefix in one of the
xpm files or does /etc/XF86Config have to be changed as such?

This is how it currently looks: (note the Depth variable) ----------------

# The Colour SVGA server

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    # Use Device "Generic VGA" for Standard VGA 320x200x256
    #Device      "Generic VGA"
    Device      "Matrox Mystique G200 4MB"
    Monitor     "SVGA Color Monitor"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        # Omit the Modes line for the "Generic VGA" device
        Modes       "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
        # Use Virtual 320 200 for Generic VGA
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16

This is how I believe it should look: (note the Depth variable) ----------

# The Colour SVGA server

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    # Use Device "Generic VGA" for Standard VGA 320x200x256
    #Device      "Generic VGA"
    Device      "Matrox Mystique G200 4MB"
    Monitor     "SVGA Color Monitor"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        # Omit the Modes line for the "Generic VGA" device
        Modes       "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
        # Use Virtual 320 200 for Generic VGA
    EndSubsection