Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:05:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen@vigrid.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads

:On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:
:>     I am getting confused by this whole KSE thing.  All the threading I've
:>     ever implemented has been done simply by splitting out the context
:>     information from the Process into a Task, and then allowing N Tasks to
:>     reference the same Process.  There was no real distinction made between
:>     kernel and user mode tasks or processes.
:
:In this context, what is a task?  Something similar to a kernel thread?
:If there are N (user-level POSIX) threads in an application, how many
:tasks are there?

    N.  A task is simply an execution context for the scheduler.  That's it,
    nothing special.  The scheduler need only know about tasks and doesn't
    really have to know about meta-data such as (except for the MMU context)
    data stored in Processes, nor does it really need to know what *kind*
    of task it is messing with.

    Simplicity is the best solution.

:>     complicates the code.  We can trivially use the existing priority
:>     scheme to schedule interrupt tasks (threads).
:
:The kernel doesn't know at what priority the threads run, so how can
:it effectively schedule them?
:
:Dan Eischen

    If you have one Task == one Thread, the priority is in the Task
    structure, so the kernel would know.  Obviously the scheduler must know
    or it can't properly schedule the execution context.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>