Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 05:46:34 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@freebsd.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun Spurs Innovation in Supercomputing

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 10:36:39PM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > The single thing I think would be most useful in bringing FreeBSD up
> > as a high availability cluster platform would be to repeat Simon's
> > (proprietary, due to choices that were not his to make) work on
> > integrating a distributed lock manager in PostgreSQL.  I have the lock
> > manager code (which I hope to integrate in FreeBSD when I get time to
> > bug bde about what the problems he was handwaving about actually are),
> > but not the PostgreSQL mods.
>
> I'm curious here...what mods to PostgreSQL?

Replacing the lock calls with calls to an API for a distributed lock
manager.  This allowed the use of PostgreSQL in high-availability
clusters, with two machines sharing the same physical "disk"
(actually, RAID array).

The capability to do this is extremely useful if you are going to
build clusters - I know several places where using that configuration
would allow me to easily do failover for systems I run, at least, and
I do not think I'm atypical.

Eivind.