Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 95 23:27:51 EST
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   All the good ones are taken.

I'm of the opinion that there aren't many good names out there.  So I was
rather surprised to find that such a good name as "chat" has been taken by
a lowly dialer program!  Yes, the PPP dialer program.

This is a behind-the-scenes program, so it can be called anything, as ugly as
you like.  How about "dial-me-up-a-ppp-host-thanks", or even "pppdial".

What set me off today?  Well, I'm one of the crowd of people who wrote a
chat program, before IRC cornered the market.  I call it "chat".  I want to
vote PPP "chat" out of its spot, and leave the name free!  I want to dust off
my old program and play with it, maybe even give it away.  I now know that
/usr/bin/chat has been around at least since 1.1, so this is a rather late
gripe, but it's still what I want.

Even if "chat" is forever lost to ppp, I ask you all to consider your naming
carefully.  Those ANSI C people care about their name space.  Does POSIX?
I think we should too.

Stephen (Concerned Conservationist) McKay.