Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 19:17:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dave Haney <dave@engg.ksu.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA/66 Promise problems

Hello,

I have an AlphaStation 200 4/233 running FreeBSD 4.0-stable which I am overall
very pleased with, however I have purchased an "Ultra66" ATA/66 Promise
controller to replace an ISA EIDEMAXII Promise controller I had in the system. I
had hoped to get away from the slower, more CPU/IRQ intensive 16 bit card since
most of the files that system serves are on a large, inexpensive IDE disk.

When I placed the PCI ATA/66 card in the system and booted, it crashed midway
through the boot:

[snip]

sio1: reserved for low-level i/o
unexpected machine check:
	mces = 0x1
	vector = 0x660
	param = 0xfffffc0000006000
	pc = 0xfffffc00004a9c60
	ra = 0xfffffc00004a9c34
	curproc = 0xfffffc0000567090
		pid = 0, comm = swapper
	panic: machine check
	uptime: 0s

[snip]

The problem is perfectly reproducible. I've tried:

 * updating the SRM console firmware
 * updating the BIOS/Firmware/whatever on the ATA/66 card
 * removing the ata drivers from the kernel
 * booting generic kernel
 * disconnecting hard disk from card
 * placing the ATA/66 card in other slots
 * removing other cards which might cause conflicts
 * updating the system to 5.0-current, and repeating

Nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

--Dave

Dave Haney                College of Engineering
Computer Systems Analyst  Kansas State University
dave@engg.ksu.edu         785.532.4643