Date:      Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:29:57 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, dave@jetcafe.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

"Neal E. Westfall" wrote:
> > Evolution in this case is merely a useful theory, in that its
> > application gives predictive results in the problem domain of
> > *what* mutations will survive the ambient selection pressures.
> =

> So explain to me again what "selection" is in the context of a
> non-theistic worldview.

I guess I have to ask "why ``again'', wasn't ``once'' enough?".

Natural selection:	The process by which individuals=92 inherited
			needs and abilities are more or less closely
			matched to resources available in their
			environment, giving those with greater
			"fitness" a better chance of survival and
			reproduction.

Note that that failing to find God under every rock is not the
same thing as "rejecting God".  Early man saw God (or _a_ god)
everywhere there was some phenomenon that they could not explain
rationally.  That we now know the cause of "thunder" is not a
rejection of God, any more than knowing the cause of speciation.

> *Who* does the "selection"?  If nobody does the selection, why keep
> calling it selection?

Because it's the technically correct word to use to describe the
operation of a fitness function.

> Why is the reification of nature justified in order to save
> evolutionary theory?

Nature *is* concrete, *not* abstract.  There is no reifying of
nature happening here.  You can only reify an *abstract* thing.

> "Selection" implies intentionality,

To people without a complex vocabulary.  Perhaps it was a bad choice
to use the compound word "natural selection", since it permits those
people to make this mistake.

> something which according to evolutionists is not necessary to
> explain the highly complex forms of life that have "arisen".

It's not.

> If we use Occam's razor to shave off all the philosophical and
> religious baggage from evolution, what is left except an assertion
> that life spontaneously arose "by chance"?

With theologians still able to claim that God controls chance, of
course.

-- Terry