Date:      Sat, 07 Jun 2003 11:24:20 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Per Kristian Hove <Per.Hove@math.ntnu.no>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom_vol_ffs problems

In message <Pine.GSO.4.52.0306062139450.23087@abel.math.ntnu.no>, Per Kristian
Hove writes:

>plan to growfs it later, and your fstab contains /dev/vol entries) the
>obvious thing would be to check the "parent" GEOM and check that the
>partition we're tasting is of type FS_BSDFFS. That would eliminate the
>"c"-partition problem.

This does not work for FFS filesystems stored in apple or sun partitions,
but theese do on the other hand, not have the magic 'c' problem.

The problem here is the 'c' partitions magicness, and I have worked hard
to make eliminate that magicness throughout, but due to the absolute
diskoffset bogosity, we cannot dethaumagize it entirely yet.