Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 09:41:52 -0700
From:      "Khairuddin Abdul Ghani" <abdulgha@usc.edu>
To:        "Brian" <bmohler@maxim.net>
Cc:        <exec@virtualmystic.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   mysterious shutdowns (cont.)

Hello. Here's the followup to the mysterious clean shutdowns
that the machine was experiencing before.

Looks like the last downtime was caused by those weird shutdowns again:
reboot           ~                         Fri May 26 08:15
shutdown         ~                         Fri May 26 08:14
reboot           ~                         Fri May 26 05:39
shutdown         ~                         Fri May 26 05:33
reboot           ~                         Fri May 26 05:29
shutdown         ~                         Thu May 25 22:28
shutdown         ~                         Fri May 26 05:21
reboot           ~                         Fri May 26 05:11
shutdown         ~                         Fri May 26 05:09
reboot           ~                         Fri May 26 04:50
shutdown         ~                         Fri May 26 04:48
reboot           ~                         Fri May 26 04:42
shutdown         ~                         Fri May 26 04:31

I checked each shutdown instance against process accounting,
and I found that each would contain at least the following
(in sequence):

date             -       root             __         0.00 secs Fri May 26
04:48
test             -       root             __         0.00 secs Fri May 26
04:48
sh               -       root             __         0.00 secs Fri May 26
04:48
[                -       root             __         0.00 secs Fri May 26
04:48
stty             -       root             __         0.00 secs Fri May 26
04:48
cron             -F      root             __         0.00 secs Fri May 26
04:48
sh               -S      root             __         0.00 secs Fri May 26
04:48
perl             -S      root             __         0.02 secs Fri May 26
04:48

Then I found this in /bin:

-r-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel      49016 May 17 20:21 [

I doubt that should be there.. so I'm taking it off for the moment.
I don't know if I should take date/stty out too though.

Running 4.0-RELEASE by the way. Thanks!

Best regards, Rudy