Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:46:07 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Don O'Neil" <lists@lizardhill.com>
Cc:        mysql@lists.mysql.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mysql Hogging all system resources

On Apr 13, 2007, at 2:40 PM, Don O'Neil wrote:
> Is there a way to set a 'nice' priority for a particular user?

Why, yes-- see /etc/login.conf and the priority keyword.
Some shells also let you adjust the priority levels for various users.

> Also, when I run this:
>
> nice -n 5 /usr/bin/spamd -d -c -m 5
>
> I get:
>
> nice: Badly formed number.
>
> I ran a man page on it, and this is the right format, but its not
> working.

Many shells offer nice as a built-in keyword, with syntax that may
vary slightly from what /usr/bin/nice uses.  Either try "/usr/bin/
nice -n 5 _command_", or use "nice 5 _command_" under csh/tcsh.  sh/
ksh/zsh ought to understand the -n flag and be more similar to the
external command under /usr/bin.

--
-Chuck