Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:51:26 -0500
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Confusion on booting and order of drives

I have a system with two drives, a 20GB that's the master on ata0 (CD-ROM
is slave on ata0), and a 40GB drive as the master on ata1.  I was having
problems doing an install of FreeBSD 4.4 in that after I was finished with
everything being installed on the 20GB drive and rebooted, I would get a
message "Invalid Partition".  I decided to try and isolate the problem and
tried the following:

1.  Just have 20GB drive and CD and do install
This worked fine, no problem, booted into FreeBSD 4.4

2.  Just have 40GB drive and CD and do install
This worked fine, no problems, booted into FreeBSD 4.4

After I tried to use both together and mount the secon drive, I started
getting the Invalid Partition error again.  After doing the two steps
above, I noticed that the system was booting off of the 40GB drive and
since I didn't previously have anything on there, that's why I was getting
the Invalid Partition error.

I'm not sure why I'm even booting off the first drive on ata1 instead of
the first drive on ata0.  Both have full systems on them.  How do I force
booting off of the first drive.

Also, I noticed that in partitioning the drives, I no longer get the
"Dangerously Dedicated" screen.  Is this still there?  Am I having a
problem because there's some kind of boot manager or mbr on the second
drive?  If so, how do I get rid of it?

Any information would be appreciated.

Oscar