Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 18:22:56 +0300
From:      Alexey Lukin <al@cn.ua>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Q. Work on boot code for Intel Flash 2 PCMCIA card?

Hi, hackers!

Does anyone already working on boot code for Intel Flash cards 2 and 2+
series (PCMCIA)?
If so, please drop me a note.

I'm going to make FreeBSD booting from PCMCIA Flash card. Goal is
FreeBSD-based diskless router with
serial console and a lot of various network interfaces.

Another solution for this task is to produce special ISA board with boot
ROM and flash matrix,
but I'll do it as "last resort" 'cos of difficulties with co-operation
in development.

I guess it's much easier to get PCMCIA interface+ flash card and make
router more powerfull that CISCO or BAY :-)

BTW, Linux community already has support for _bootable_ flash cards:
http://hyper.stanford.edu/~dhinds/pcmcia/home.html
It's relatively easy to boot Linux from anywhere using "inird" support
in kernel.
But I like FreeBSD :-)

Bye,
SY, Look_in