Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 18:12:12 -0400
From:      "Suvrat" <suvrat@utstar.com>
To:        <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <suvrat@utstar.com>
Subject:   Multiple ISP server problem

Hi,
I am trying to develop a PC based Remote Access Server, with a twist. It
should be able to support multiple ISPs.
The configuration includes dial in modem board and separate Ethernet
interfaces to each ISP router. This brings up many interesting issues if
one want to completely isolate the multiple user-ISP groups.
1. If I am a dial in user of ISPx then my packet should be sent out to ISPx
router. One option is using IPF on the dial in I/F to forward its packets.
But this seems to be very inefficient(with lots of users there will be so
many filters to parse for each packet!!!)
2. ISPx should get RIP updates with host routes for only its own users, and
not the users of another ISP! I couldn't find any such functionality in
RIP.
3. I should do proxy arp on a particular Ethernet for only the dial in
users belonging to the ISP owning that eth intf.
and so on..

Well has anyone tried similar implementation? Any ideas on how to go about
doing this? I have solutions for some problems on a problem by problem
basis which doesn't seem to be very elegant. Like I can catch the user
packets in the kernel ppp code and send them directly out to the
corresponding ISPs interface.
thanks
-suvrat
email: suvrat@utstar.com