Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:34:53 -0400
From:      Steve Shorter <steve@nomad.lets.net>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernal malloc area tuning?

Howdy!

	I have a dedicated router/firewall running FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p6 and
ipfilter 3.4.20. IPFilter has begun dropping connections because it can't
allocate memory for more entries in the state/nat tables.

I have traced the condition to an error from kern_malloc() (or one of its
siblings) when it is not able to allocate the memory required. Top shows that
there is lots of free memory.

The documentation in LINT suggest modifying these parameters ..

options 	VM_KMEM_SIZE="(10*1024*1024)"
options 	VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX="(100*1024*1024)"
options 	VM_KMEM_SIZE_SCALE="4"

	I tried various strategies including setting

options 	VM_KMEM_SIZE_SCALE="2"

	which *should* double the malloc area (according to LINT), but could
not get more memory allocated for the state tables.

	How can I tune the kernel malloc area so that I can take advantage
of the "free RAM". It has 128M, but 80M is still "free"

	thanx - steve