Date:      Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:50:31 +1000
From:      Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsdquestions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pccard modem

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 20:36, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:17:22AM +0000, a.shterenlikht@umist.ac.uk wrote:
>
> > I recently installed FreeBSD 5.2.1 on Compaq Armada 1700. I have a
> > pcmcia modem (Psion gold card WAN Global PC Card 56 k+ Fax Combine iT).
> >
> > 1. Is this not a winmodem?
>
> Seeing as it says "type 16550A" probably not.  Looks like you have
> picked a device with a real UART.
>
> > 2. How do I make it work? I'm not sure if it is detected or not. I get
> > the lines
> >
> > sio4: <Psion Gold Card 56K Combine iT> at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 11
> > function 0 config 5 on pccard0
> > sio4: type 16550A
> > sio4: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode
> >
> > from the dmesg. Does it mean the card is properly detected.
>
> Yup.  Looks very properly detected to me.
>
> > 3. If it is detected, do I need to start a daemon for it?
>
> It depends what you want to do with it.  If you're looking to use it
> to dial out to some ISP then you need to configure PPP.  The user-mode
> ppp(8) is the easiest to use.  For instructions see:
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/userppp.html
>
> as well as the ppp(8) man page and the sample files in
> /usr/share/examples/ppp -- make sure you don't get things confused
> with the kernek-mode pppd(8), which provides pretty much exactly the
> same basic functionality, but by a different chunk of software.
>
> If you want to use it for Fax, then you need to install one of the
> comms/mgetty+sendfax or comms/efax or comms/hylafax ports
>
> > 4. What is the recommended way to check that the card is working
>
> Start with the basics: can you connect to the modem using tip(1) --
> seeing as the card has decided it's sio4, you may need to edit
> /etc/remote juduciously and add a line for your modem analogous to the
> com1 .. com4 lines already there.  Then you should be able to:
>
>    # tip modem
>
> and issue AT commands -- your modem's manual should have a listing of
> what's available.
>
> Then once you've established that the modem is talking to your system,
> go for broke, and install the end-user sofware you require.  Being
> able to make a ppp connection or send a Fax pretty much proves things
> are working OK.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

FWIW I have a PCMCIA Card Drive adapter in my clone box

and plugging my Laptops Xircom card modem in gave this

---------------------------------8<-----------------------------
pccard: card inserted, slot 0
Jun  7 10:37:23 wstaylorm pccardd[53]: Card "Xircom"("Modem 56 V2")
[RM56V2] [1.00] has function ID 2
sio4 at port 0x2e8-0x2ef irq 10 flags 0x40000 slot 0 on pccard0
sio4: type 16550A
sio4: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode
Jun  7 10:37:38 wstaylorm pccardd[53]: sio4: GENERIC PCMCIA modem
inserted.
---------------------------------8<-----------------------------

and with this line in /etc/remote

---------------------------------8<-----------------------------
# Finger friendly shortcuts
com1:dv=/dev/cuaa0:br#9600:pa=none:
com2:dv=/dev/cuaa1:br#9600:pa=none:
com3:dv=/dev/cuaa2:br#9600:pa=none:
com4:dv=/dev/cuaa3:br#9600:pa=none:
xircom:dv=/dev/cuaa4:br#9600:pa=none:  <<<<< THIS LINE
---------------------------------8<-----------------------------

got this when using tip

---------------------------------8<-----------------------------
root@wstaylorm (/usr/X11R6/lib)ttyp1 # tip xircom
connected
at
OK
ati
Xircom Modem 56 V2 AU (Revision 2.33)

OK

I have used this modem for general modem related comms testing

xircom --> PSTN --> Netcomm external modem using the same FreeBSD box
running both ends of the tests.

cheers

--
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer

This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.