Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:45:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Expected SCSI speed question

I have a 200 MHz K6 system (FBSD 3.2), Adaptec 2940UW SCSI-adaptor and Seagate
ST19171W Hard disk. The Seagate (Barracuda 9) disk is specced to up to 40
Mbytes/sec Max sync. SCSI transfer rate. But whatever tests I run (copying
large files to and fro, dd from disk to /dev/null for example) the actual speed
is never more than around 0.5 MB/s according to 'systat -io 1' or 'systat -vm
1'.

Is there a knob to turn to speed it up or is this a bottleneck due to the
processor?

Cheers,
Micke

PS. I have used the same disk on a dual ppro 233MHz system, same SCSI-adaptor
with about the same transfer speeds...

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail