Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:01:50 +0200
From:      "Rafael Ruiz" <gandano@gmail.com>
To:        port-alpha@netbsd.org
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org, alpha@openbsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: X on NetBSD

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rafael Ruiz <gandano@gmail.com>
Date: 17-jul-2007 22:48
Subject: X on NetBSD
To: alpha-port@netbsd.org, alpha@freebsd.org, alpha@openbsd.org

Hi All!
I would like to know why *BSD has problems with X (Xorg or XFree) on Alpha
Platform. I like NetBSD, FreeBSD, but i have a lot of problem for use X on
these. X runs very well on Linux/Alpha but i would like to work with BSD and
to make a workstation with X. Why *BSD don't let X work on Alpha? This in
not problem of X. In old versions of FreeBSD like 4.5 and so, XFree ran
good.

I think that BSD/alpha is better that Linux/Alpha .... but do we must to
limit at console/text mode only? Due to i can not to use X on FreeBSD, nor
NetBSD, I check OpenBSD, but it has the same problem. In NetBSD we can to
build xsrc (XDecNet, XFree86,...), but only for 21164 processors, with 21264
it seem not work. We can to use caseydoodley Xfree86 modifications
too(thanks mel), but with some limitations.

We only have two options:

        1.- For Workstations with graphical environment -> Linux
        2.- For Servers (Text mode) -> BSD

Is this our only choice?

It's a pity that BSD has this problem with X, it is the best free Operating
System for Alpha. Does think NetBSD or OpenBSD developers to open the door
for X in the future?

Opinions? Solutions?

Thanks for your comments.
Rafa