Date:      Fri, 08 Feb 2008 00:14:46 +0200
From:      Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB HDD recommendations for FreeBSD 6.3/amd64 ?

Hello!

I've been using two identical WD MyBook 500 GB HDDs as a 'backup media'
for almost a year. With FreeBSD 6.2 things worked fairly well. There was
only one problem - after attaching the drive, it took 10-11 minutes for
the drive to become available as da0. In my specific situation this
problem was not too disturbing.

With 6.3, however, things are much worse. I'm experiencing really bad
freezes when the several-gigabytes-big backup images are being transferred
to the USB HDD. I've described the details in
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=120321, so I won't repeat them
all here. I'll just say again that as the problem happens with two
identical drives and WD's diagnostics utility has verified one of them to
be OK, I don't believe it to be hardware failure. Also, problems started
immediately after upgrading to 6.3.

So, my current guess is that there is something about these drives that
just doesn't sit well with FreeBSD 6.3. As I really do need to make
backups, I'm willing to try another brand of HDD. So I hope to hear what
kind of USB HDDs are you successfully using with FreeBSD 6.3.

Thanks in advance,
--
Toomas Aas
... The speed of time is one second per second.