Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:30:17 -0500
From:      "Charlie Schloemer" <charlie@infoworks.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Martin Von_Schantz" <ikaros_net@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: trouble with telnet login

On 29 Sep 00, at 17:14, Martin Von_Schantz wrote:

> Hi, I have a small problem. This problem occurs when I try to login using
> telnet to my FBsd machine.
> After I've typed in my login and password, the prompts just freezes for a
> couple of minutes. It feels like it is waiting for a timeout of some sort
> but I don't have any idea of what might be wrong.
> After about 2 minutes the shell starts as if nothing had happened.
>
> Ftp and apache respond in an instant so I don't tink it has anything to do
> with ip/nameserver timeout.
>
> I run with the following configuration:
> 2 ethernet cards with "firewall enable".
> telnetd, proftpd, samba, Apache, bind, dhcpd and sshd.

I've seen this problem when the BSD box can't resolve your
hostname for utmp, and it takes a few minutes for the resolver to
give up.  Add a static entry for your client box to /etc/hosts on your
server and see if that clears it up, or if you're running a DNS server,
you can specify it there in a db file.

-charlie