Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 16:10:14 +0900 (JST)
From:      FBSD <fbsd@typhoon.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   embedded slash in map name?

Hello,

I'm using a very simple amd.map on a NIS client to mount users' home
directories from a NFS server, which is also the NIS master.  I haven't
figured out how to build a master amd.map yet.  Both the master and client
are running FreeBSD2.2.6R.

Things are working; users can log in (to the client) and mount their home
directories without problems.  However, I noticed the following message in
the NIS master's syslog whenever the NIS client boots up:

<timestamp> <hostname> ypserv[100]: embedded slash in map name
"/etc/amd.map" -- possible spoof attempt from <client's IP>:<port#>

What does that mean?  I must have missed something in the NIS
client/server setup?  Thanx for any hints/pointers.

fbsd