Date:        Thu, 7 Dec 2000 22:38:50 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Matt Wilbur <matt@efs.org>
Cc:        keith <keith@webair.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel / world out of sync?

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 12:36:09PM -0800, Matt Wilbur wrote:
> Hey!
>
> I'm really curious to hear anything you find out.  I'm having the EXACT
> same problems, but have a different setup...
>
> 4.1R upgraded via binary upgrade (sysinstall) to 4.2R.
>
> cloned the system disk (dump/restore) to another disk which is the nfs
> mounted root for diskless clients.
>
> the system itself is fine, vmstat, top, pstat all work.
> the diskless client boots, mounts root, runs startup scripts...
> everything works, BUT.
> I get those exact same errors when I run vmstat.  top gives nlist
> errors, pstat -s gives undefined symbol: _numvnodes.
>
> I've rebuilt libkvm, rebuilt the kernel, ensured /dev/mem, /dev/kmem are
> OK, /proc is mounted, regenerated ld-elf.so.hints, I have no clue what
> is broken!  running top/pstat through ktrace, both are having problems
> when the linker tries to resolve those symbols, from libkvm, it looks
> like. (kldsym() fails)
>
> I'm hoping that your solution will work for me too, in some way :)
> Anyone?

> > I'm getting these errors:
> > {webairadmin@gremlin 3:07pm} ~> vmstat
> > vmstat: undefined symbols:
> >  _kmemstatistics _bucket _zlist
> >
> > In my experience that usually means the world and kernel are out of sync,
> > but I'm wondering if there can be any other causes. I first had
> > 4.0-release on this machine, installed from the ISO, It had the same
> > errors, I then cvsupped and make {build,install}world and kernel fine...
> > but I still get the same errors.
> >
> > Here's what I'm running:
> >
> > {webairadmin@gremlin 3:07pm} ~> uname -a
> > FreeBSD gremlin.webair.com 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Thu Dec  7
> > 13:27:59 EST 2000     root@gremlin.webair.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GREMLIN
> > i386
> >
> > Freshly compiled today:
> >
> > {webairadmin@gremlin 3:07pm} ~> ls -l /kernel
> > -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2130424 Dec  7 13:31 /kernel*
> > {webairadmin@gremlin 3:07pm} ~> ls -l /usr/bin/top
> > -r-xr-sr-x  1 root  kmem  32312 Dec  7 13:39 /usr/bin/top*
> >
> > Is there any other cause for this? I'm totally at a loss.

You are not the first to have such problems.
(And it has been discussed on this list before. Please search the archives.)
For me the cause was that I did not use /boot/loader to load the kernel but
loaded the kernel directly by specifying it in /boot.config.
If you have a file /boot.config then remove it (or rename it) and reboot.
If that doesn't help I am afraid I can't help you.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson