Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 01:09:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Tiemann <btman@ugcs.caltech.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Install *actually* friendly

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Dexnation Holodream wrote:

> In plain english, sure, we could cater to a little bit more to the
> novice user, but they're still going to run into some very basic
> problems.  Now, if we spruce up the documentation, then, if they're
> smart enough to RTFM, and we put a few tutorials in, we'd be 10x
> better off, having created a set of slightly more clueful users.

	Well put. I for one would cast my vote for avoiding the
Microsoft/AOL ideal of making things so blindingly one-click easy that
even people who can't drive or fry an egg can get on the Net, in favor of
the "Teach a man to fish" principle. There's no need to hand-hold in the
implementation phase when a tutorial will do the job-- and maybe teach
somebody something along the way.

	Sure, that does mean the tutorials *do* have to be written, and
written well. But thus far FreeBSD has stuck quite well to these
principles, and therein lies a lot of its strength.

Brian