Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2015 18:01:03 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, Harrison Grundy <harrison.grundy@astrodoggroup.com>, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: locks and kernel randomness...
References:  <20150224015721.GT74514@kib.kiev.ua> <54EBDC1C.3060007@astrodoggroup.com> <20150224024250.GV74514@kib.kiev.ua> <DD06E2EA-68D6-43D7-AA17-FB230750E55A@bsdimp.com> <20150224174053.GG46794@funkthat.com> <54ECBD4B.6000007@freebsd.org> <20150224182507.GI46794@funkthat.com> <54ECEA43.2080008@freebsd.org> <20150224231921.GQ46794@funkthat.com> <1424822522.1328.11.camel@freebsd.org> <20150225002956.GT46794@funkthat.com>

> On Feb 24, 2015, at 5:29 PM, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Ian Lepore wrote this message on Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 17:02 -0700:
>> On Tue, 2015-02-24 at 15:19 -0800, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>>> Alfred Perlstein wrote this message on Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 16:16 =
-0500:
That would make it easy
>>>=20
>>> It also speaks to the airchair quarterbacking that stops people from
>>> wanting to contribute...  Someone comes along and tries to make an
>>> improvement, then x number of people raise their arms about oh, I
>>> still use grdc (sorry dteske, not trying to pick on you) as tcp keep
>>> alive, and then the person abandons or leaves incomplete the work =
that
>>> they started...
>>>=20
>>> I was very close to NOT posting the email to -arch, but after =
various
>>> questions from twitter, and adrian's continued pleas to talk changes
>>> more publicly, I decided to do so...  If people continue to react =
this
>>> way, it just demonstrates that doing things publicly is NOT a way to
>>> get things to move forward in FreeBSD, and people will continue to =
do
>>> things in private...  Luckily, I'm consulting, so I have a few more
>>> hours (for now) to fight these fights, but if it continues to be an
>>> issue, we'll continue to have this problem of czars that come in, =
drop
>>> a bunch of code and then leave, because dealing w/ this becomes too
>>> expensive...
>>>=20
>>> So far, only ONE person has commented on the patch on reviews, and =
that
>>> is delphij...
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> I'm fine not being like OpenBSD, but as you said, we should learn =
from
>>> them, and leverage their work...  Though I agree w/ OpenBSD's work =
>>> replace random(3), it also isn't who FreeBSD is, but if we want to
>>> continue to be relevant, we do need to take security seriously, and
>>> IMO, this is one of those steps.
>>>=20
>>> If someone does find a performance issue w/ my patch, I WILL work =
with
>>> them on a solution, but I will not work w/ people who make unfounded
>>> claims about the impact of this work...
>>=20
>> Yeah, the problem could all that.
>>=20
>> Or it could be people who "collaborate" by saying I'm going to make =
this
>> change.  I'm not going to justify it in any way, and if anybody
>=20
> I have justified it=E2=80=A6

I think you should explain what you explained to me on IRC.

Specifically, through a timing attack, you can find (by default) the =
lower 7
bits of the value returned by random(). Since random() is not MP safe,
it can sometimes return the same value twice (through some race that may
or may not have been lost). This means other users can see this data.

In this instance, it isn=E2=80=99t so much what sched_ule is doing, but =
rather what
others are able to glean from it. Now, it isn=E2=80=99t clear that these =
7 bits are a big
deal since you also have to lose the race and know the race was lost. =
Other
things in the system might care if you expose this state.

Also, in this specific case, it can use the current random generator in =
sched_ule
to get this number as well. It=E2=80=99s run on a time scale of ticks, =
with some jitter.
In this specific case, it doesn=E2=80=99t need to be using random(), but =
it isn=E2=80=99t clear if
the get_cyclecount() stuff provides enough low-order bits that are =
random
enough to meet sched_ule=E2=80=99s needs. But it isn=E2=80=99t clear =
that it doesn=E2=80=99t (only cause
for concern is if there=E2=80=99s a beat pattern for a cycle count =
that=E2=80=99s low-resolution,
but I don=E2=80=99t think we have any of these on SMP work loads).

Ideally, since there=E2=80=99s a small chance of a performance =
regression, we should
find some benchmark to run that would exercise this code path and see if
a regression can be measured or not. After looking at the code, I=E2=80=99=
m skeptical
that there would be one. But data would settle this once and for all, =
since this
is an interaction with the scheduler, which historically has made people =
very
nervous.=20

>> disagrees I'm just going to dismiss their concerns and demand that =
THEY
>> hold the burden of proof that my unnecessary change is harmful, and =
if
>=20
> How many audits of the random() calls in the kernel have you done?
>=20
> You've raised concers, I've said I've looked and don't see any, how =
can
> I prove a negative?  What can I do to convince you that you're wrong?
> All you have to do to convince me I'm wrong is show me a place in the
> kernel where it is a performance issue.  Is it really that hard to
> come up w/ one?

You can prove a negative with benchmarks. Then we=E2=80=99d be arguing =
over
the efficacy of them, but at least that would be progress :) Or you can =
strongly
suggest a negative by failing to reject the null hypothesis of no =
change.
That too would be progress.

>> they don't, then screw the collobaration thing, I'm just going to do =
it
>> anyway.
>=20
> It goes both ways, I see it that you're objecting w/o complete
> intformation, and no mater what evidence or work I do, you'll just
> ignore it, and still say it isn't correct or that there's this
> unprovable codition that prevents the work for going in=E2=80=A6

Data is going to break this log-jam.

Warner