Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 16:20:28 -0600
From:      "Tan Gao" <TGao@novell.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   root

--=_530B7C2B.0B6AA215

dear Sir/Madam:

hello!  I'm a brand freshie trying to set up FreeBSD on my Windows NT 4.0 =
machine.  I have downloaded and installed most of the components needed =
and still cannot get the fun rolling.

Two major problems so far:

when I log in as a normal user and type "startx" under my home directory, =
the graphical interface does not have any recognizable fonts.  everything =
looks like bar codes in the superstore.

secondly, here is an e-mail I received when logging in as the "root":

"the user root was editing a file named /tmp/vi.cjZfecB306 on the machine =
ADG.sjf.novell.com, when it was saved for recovery.  You can recover most, =
if not all, of the changes to this file using the -r option to vi:

vi -r /tmp/vi.cjZfecB306  "

I tried the above commands but nothing happened.  I don't know what to =
recover and how.  or whether this is somehting that I should be concerned =
with.

thank you very much for your time and support!

Tan

--=_530B7C2B.0B6AA215

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" http-equiv=3DContent-Type=

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff=20
style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px">
<DIV>dear Sir/Madam:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>hello!&nbsp; I'm a brand freshie trying to set up FreeBSD on my =
Windows NT=20
4.0 machine.&nbsp; I have downloaded and installed most of the components =
needed=20
and still cannot get the fun rolling.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Two major problems so far:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>when I log in as a normal user and type "startx" under my home =
directory,=20
the graphical interface does not have any recognizable fonts.&nbsp; =
everything=20
looks like bar codes in the superstore.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>secondly, here is an e-mail I received&nbsp;when logging in as the=20
"root":</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"the user root was editing a file named /tmp/vi.cjZfecB306 on the =
machine=20
ADG.sjf.novell.com, when it was saved for recovery.&nbsp; You can recover =
most,=20
if not all, of the changes to this file using the -r option to vi:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>vi -r /tmp/vi.cjZfecB306&nbsp; "<BR></DIV>
<DIV>I tried the above commands but nothing happened.&nbsp; I don't know =
what to=20
recover and how.&nbsp; or whether this is somehting that I should be =
concerned=20
with.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>thank you very much for your time and support!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Tan</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=_530B7C2B.0B6AA215--