Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 17:06:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Ceri <ceri@techsupport.co.uk>
Cc:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>, FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Large mail file (3GB)

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Ceri wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 05:44:37PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington said:
> > Hello Mate,
> >
> > I have a file that is 3GB in mbox format. I need to split it into 3 parts
> > then access it using elm, or even mutt. Is there a utility in FreeBSD that
> > can be used to truncate a file into some predetermined parts?
>
> dd(1) ?

I think he wants to keep the mbox format, so that each part is
readable by elm, or even mutt.

Wash, if that's the case, then formail(1)  (included with procmail)
will split up one big mbox file into smaller ones.  Heck, if you
want a small programming exercise, awk or perl could even do it.

If preserving the mbox format is not important (i.e. ignoring
"^From " lines), then the aforementioned dd(1) or split(1) will do
the trick.

-Paul.