Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 2008 09:50:42 -0500
From:      "E. J. Cerejo" <ejcerejo@optonline.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't Print Anymore With CUPS --- Permission Denied

I'm running FreeBSD 7RC3, and I've got cups-base-1.3.5_2, hplip-2.7.12 and foomatic-db-hpijs-1.4 installed.  When I first configured cups it was printing just fine and fast and now I get this error: "Unable to open device file "/dev/unlpt0": Permission denied" and the printer goes into "stop" mode.
I have this for the configuration:
Location: Home
Printer Driver: HP OfficeJet 4300 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: usb:/dev/unlpt0
I googled it and all I could find was changing the Device URI from usb to file.  I can print like that except it just crawls, it takes the printer about 10 minutes to print a simple text page.

My devfs.rules file looks like this:

[devfsrules_common=7]
add path 'ad*' mode 666 group operator
add path 'acd*' mode 666 group operator
add path 'cd*' mode 666 group operator
add path 'pass*' mode 666 group operator
add path 'xpt*' mode 666 group operator
add path 'ugen*' mode 0660 group operator
add path 'lpt*' mode 666 group cups
add path 'ulpt*' mode 666 group cups
add path 'unlpt*' mode 666 group cups
add path 'fd*' mode 666 group operator
add path 'ad*' mode 666 group operator
add path 'ad*s* mode 666 group operator

My rc.conf looks like this:
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
polkitd_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
devd_enable="YES"

# added by xorg-libraries port
local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"

# Wireless Configuration
ifconfig_ath0="ssid NETGEAR172 bssid 00:90:4c:7e:00:6e DHCP wepmode on weptxkey
1 wepkey 1:0xXXXXXXXXX"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
hostname="ecerejo.netgear.com"

# CUPS Configuration
devfs_system_ruleset="devfsrules_common"
lpd_enable="NO"
hpiod_enable="YES"
hpssd_enable="YES"
cupsd_enable="YES"

My devfs.conf looks like this:
# Historically X depended on this, but version 4.3.0 doesn't seem to anymore
#link	ttyv0	vga

# Commonly used by many ports
#link	acd0	cdrom
link    cd0     cdrom
link    cd0     dvd

# Allow a user in the wheel group to query the smb0 device
#perm	smb0	0660

# Allow members of group operator to cat things to the speaker
#own	speaker	root:operator
#perm	speaker	0660

# Allow all users to access CD's
perm    /dev/acd0       0666
perm    /dev/acd1       0666
perm    /dev/cd0        0666
perm    /dev/cd1        0666

# Allow all USB Devices to be mounted
perm    /dev/da0        0666
# perm    /dev/da1      0666
# perm    /dev/da2      0666
# perm    /dev/da3      0666

# Misc other devices
perm    /dev/pass0        0666
perm    /dev/xpt0         0666
perm    /dev/agpgart      0666
# perm    /dev/uscanner0  0666

As far as I am concerned I haven't changed anything since I set cups up, it's weird that it just broke like that.