Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:02:34 -0800
From:      Crist Clark <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
To:        Jon Molin <jon.molin@resfeber.se>
Cc:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a new drive

Jon Molin wrote:

> Hi again...
>
> Thanks for the help Stijn but I've tried what you said allready, did it again
> now following your instructions but it doesn't help, it says
> Error mounting /dev/ad3s1e on /usr/local/drive2 : Device not configure
> when i do write in disklabel.

OK. Sick of this thread. Here is a clue:

> Here's how fdisk ad3 looks now:
> ******* Working on device /dev/ad3 *******
> parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
> cylinders=13410 heads=15 sectors/track=63 (945 blks/cyl)
>
> Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
> parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
> cylinders=13410 heads=15 sectors/track=63 (945 blks/cyl)
>
> fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
> Media sector size is 512
> Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
> Information from DOS bootblock is:
> The data for partition 1 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 2 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 3 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 4 is:
> sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
>     start 63, size 12672387 (6187 Meg), flag 80 (active)
>         beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
>         end: cyl 97/ sector 63/ head 14

Here is what you need to do:

  1) Write a valid slice (PC partition) table. Make sure it is a valid
     table, i.e. you don't get that error above.

  2) YOU MUST REBOOT. The PC partition table in kernel memory is not
     updated once started (last time I rewrote a fdisk label anyway).
     Annoying, but hey, adding hardware is one of the few occasions you
     may have to reboot.

  3) Use disklabel(8) to partition the slice.

  4) Use newfs(8) to put filesystems in the partitions.

  5) Use mount(8) to access the filesystems.

  6) Have beer.

--
Crist J. Clark                                Network Security Engineer
crist.clark@globalstar.com                    Globalstar, L.P.

The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential,
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If
the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee
or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please contact postmaster@globalstar.com