Date:      Mon, 02 Jun 1997 22:29:15 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        gshaffer@cod.nosc.mil (Gregory M. Shaffer)
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Parallel make worlds

Hi,

> -------
> I noticed that when I do a 'make -j 8 world' I do not get the extra speed
> benefit of my second CPU. I searched the mailing list archives at
> www.freebsd.org for info on parallel make worlds. I did not find any
> definitive answer that this is even possible or advisable. I would like to
> take advatange of this if at all possible. Can some kind soul please point
> me in the right direction or provide me with the required modes to make this
> happen.

I too would love to be able to do this, but it doesn't currently work.  There
is a fair degree of work to be done to the /usr/share/mk/* files for it to
be possible.  My first experiments with it showed problems with dependancies
for *.y files (lex,yacc stuff), as well as other misc. things.  The basic
problem is that these files, as well as some of the actual Makefiles, do not
define the dependancies well enough for a parallel system.  When run on
a single CPU system they work OK, but fall apart when races occure between
2 or more CPUs.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by