Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2007 08:59:36 +0400 (GST)
From:      Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@rakhesh.com>
To:        "Arend P. van der Veen" <apvanderveen@att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portsdb and cvsup

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007, Arend P. van der Veen wrote:

> The approach that I had been using was:
>
> /usr/local/bin/cvsup  -L 0 /usr/sup/supfile
> /usr/local/sbin/portsdb -Uu
>
> This had worked great until the emacs22 update.  Now portsdb crashes due to
> the emacs entry in /etc/make.conf.  However, I see very little chatter on the
> lists about this.  I have started to wonder if the bulk of the community may
> be updating their ports differently.  Upon some limited research I found that
> I could use:
>
> /usr/local/bin/cvsup  -L 0 /usr/sup/supfile
> /usr/local/sbin/portsdb -Fu
>
> This work fine for me.  I can then use tools such as pkg_version, pkg_delete,
> portinstall and portupgrade without any problems.
>
> My open ended question is what does the rest of the community do to update
> their ports collection?

I don't run portsdb at all. :)

What I figured from the portsdb manpages is that if you don't run it
manually then it gets run upon using one of the portupgrade tools. I don't
mind the 30s or so delay that causes and so I don't run portsdb manually.

During my first few days with FreeBSD, however, I used to run ''portsdb
-Fu''. My understanding is that that would fetch the INDEX-6 and update
INDEX-6.db (since I am on FreeBSD 6.x) but I don't see why I should do
this coz the INDEX files are updated when I update the ports tree anyways!
(If I have understood this incorrectly, someone please correct me).

I tried ''portsdb -Uu'' just once. To see what it does. Took a long time
and so I never tried it again. From the manpage I understand that it
creates/ updates the INDEX files by running the ''make index'' command,
but the reasoning behind that didn't make sense to me ...

So that's my story.

Regards,
Rakhesh