Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2002 19:41:25 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        "Michael W. Collette" <metrol@metrol.net>
Subject:   Re: Repost: PCMCIA card for Vaio, advice needed

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 05:16:47PM -0700, Michael W. Collette wrote:
> This user spends about 95% of his time on some kind of Ethernet setup.  I just
> want to make sure that when he goes out of town that I'm able to provide him
> with some means of getting a dial up to work.  A simple card swap wouldn't be
> a bad deal at all for him.

That's how I do it currently.  I use:

	- Cisco Aironet 350 (an(4)) for WiFi (98%+ of the time)
	- Linksys PCM100 (ed(4)) for wired 802.3
	- a really old modem pc-card that works great on FreeBSD

> I doubt I'll have the time to play with CURRENT on this thing.  It's an old
> k6-500, and I know compiling is going to be time consuming on it.  I don't
> want to have to spend days trying to get him outta my hair :)  Getting X,
> sound, and all that working is going to be bad enough.  Still beats the heck
> outta dealing with Windows viruses, or the screwy upgrade path the Linux
> distros provide.

You know, you can install a -CURRENT snapshot from
snapshots.jp.freebsd.org like any other release.  You could also
try 5.0-DP1 which is only 2 months old...

Regards,
--
wca