Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 21:54:44 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crashes (page faults) and odd behavior on current

>Hi folks,
>
>Looks like more VM problems...
>
>We're seeing odd stuff -- program which were working core dumping, crashes
>with kernel page faults (nothing repeatable), and what looks like VM cache
>corruption (perhaps in the page area).
>
>Ideas?  I know that there were VM changes made a week or so ago, but kernels
>I built *yesterday* are showing these symptoms.
>
>There was a change committed to vm/vm_swap.c last night -- what did it
>address?

I also started seeing this stuff sometime this weekend.  My symptom is
tar complaing about a corrupted file when untaring something large (say
11MB).  Unmount/Remount the fs, and the tar extracts just fine.
I was going to play around with my RAM to see if it was the culpret, but
this second report makes it look like a software bug.

>--
>Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
>http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
>			     | 23 Analog Prefixes, 13 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
>Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net
>/
>Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Interna

Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations