Date:      Sun, 02 Jul 2000 11:55:04 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Advocacy List" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>, "FreebSD ISP list" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>, "FreeBSd Chat list" <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   New Egroups list. Corporate BSD

There is a new list dedicated to BSD in your organization.
This group is intended to be part advocacy, part BSD and part
third party systems.
Basically anything which will help you get BSD in use or to keep
it running in your organization.

How does this group differs from:

** Questions
We are presenting this group as NOT for absolute beginners and
we will suggest to them to seek out the appropiate list. In
particular if the question has no relation to BSD use in an
organization.

** Advocacy
This list will focus on  advocacy in a more narrow scope such as
strategies to present BSD to your manager or the organization.

** ISP
Although ISPs are organizations, their needs are different. For
example an ISP may dictate through a contract with the user
their rights. On an organization there may exist rules and
regulations and the BSD admin would have to be bound to those.
i.e. email retention and access policies. An organization may
have a policy which dictates that all emails are kept in archive
and that they may be randomly checked or scanned for keywords.
It is unlikely that an ISP would  want to or ask of their user's
permission to keep indefinitely and spot check their email.

That of course is just an example, but there are many other
areas that differ.

Some questions that may be raised by this announcement and their
answer:
-- Why isn't this list hosted by one of the BSD mailing list. I
originally thought of this list as a FreeBSD list and asked the
List master (jmb) about it. His answer was that he would prefer
that we start it and that if it is truly active that he would
host it with the FreeBSD lists. I thought that this makes sense.
Specially given his feedback that several times people have
asked for lists and they have been dead shortly after their
creation.

--Why is subscription moderated
So we can control spammers. If someone spams the list we can ban
them.

--How do I join?
http://www.egroups.com/group/BSD_Corporate