Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 2003 02:52:52 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <brandon@dvalentine.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: prying x11-wm/wmakerconf loose from gnome

--=-dHKnmIGNoaGvSkAXlKB1

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 02:46, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> [...]
> My apologies for the crosspost, but I'm looking for some advice on
> eliminating this:
>=20
>     % pkg_info -r wmakerconf-2.8.1 | wc -l
>           68
>=20
> The wmakerconf port does not require gnome, except that it does.  The
> Makefile for wmakerconf contains this:
>=20
>     [...]
>     USE_GNOME=3D      imlib
>     WANT_GNOME=3D     yes
>     [...]
>     .if defined(HAVE_GNOME)
>     BUILD_DEPENDS+=3D gnome2wmaker:${PORTSDIR}/x11-wm/gnome2wmaker
>     RUN_DEPENDS+=3D   gnome2wmaker:${PORTSDIR}/x11-wm/gnome2wmaker
>     PLIST_SUB+=3D     GNOME:=3D""
>     .else
>     PLIST_SUB+=3D     GNOME:=3D"@comment "
>     .endif
>     [...]
>=20
> '.if defined(HAVE_GNOME)' will always evaluate to true as the port has
> just declared its dependency on imlib above.  Thus, wmakerconf _always_
> adds gnome2wmaker to its dependency list.  This is a non-trivial
> addition as gnome2wmaker's Makefile uses the old 'USE_GNOME=3Dyes' syntax
> which sucks in all of gnomeprefix, gnomehack and gtkhtml.  gtkhtml
> pretty much takes care of sucking the rest of gnome in by declaring
> 'USE_GNOME=3Dgnomehack gnomeprefix gnomehier glibwww libghttp libcapplet
> gal'.
>=20
> In this way we end up with 68 dependencies for a simple little program
> like wmakerconf.
>=20
> I would like to submit some PRs w/ patches to clean all of this up (or
> have a committer reading this just go and fix it without hassling around
> with gnats).  Both x11-wm/wmakerconf and x11-wm/gnome2wmaker need to be
> fixed.
>=20
> gnome2wmaker needs to comply with the new bsd.gnome.mk policy regarding
> USE_GNOME, i.e. no more 'USE_GNOME=3Dyes'.  It should do this by setting
> USE_GNOME to whichever gnome component provides "menus".  gnome2wmaker's
> purpose is to insert the gnome menu into the windowmaker menu, so it
> should require the part of gnome that provides menus.  It is not
> immediately clear to me which component that might be.  Perhaps one of
> the freebsd-gnome boys can shed some light on that.
>=20
> wmakerconf needs to be updated so that instead of testing to see if
> HAVE_GNOME is defined, it checks HAVE_GNOME for the same "menu"
> component.  If that component is installed, then it should add
> gnome2wmaker to its dependencies.
>=20
> Which of the gnome components contains the "menus" and should be tested
> against?  Should I submit PRs+patches or is there some ports or gnome
> committer who would prefer to clean these up?  They both should be

I agree this is a bug in wmakerconf, but someone will need to determine
which GNOME component to check for, then modify the HAVE_GNOME test to
be:

.if ${HAVE_GNOME:Mcomponent}!=3D""

At that point, the problem should go away.  Given that no one has truly
migrated this port to the new GNOME infrastructure, that "component"
could be gtkhtml (however, I'm sure gnomelibs would suffice).

Joe

>=20
> Thanks,
>=20