Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 2002 16:01:36 +0200
From:      Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
To:        Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
Cc:        Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to transfer passwd data from NIS-Server to local

Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
> Axel Scheepers wrote:
>
>> Perl? Awk? Shouldn't be too hard to write something which parses it
>> and writes
>> it out to a temp master.passwd. Then pwd_mkdb can check that file and
>> import it,
>> check man pwd_mkdb for details.
>>
>> Gr,
>

> Just want to be 100% sure:
>
> Does pwd_mkdb *overwrite* the existing passwd database or *update/merge*
> the supplied input with the existing passwd database?

Ok, here's what i did:

On the NIS+ server:

niscat passwd|awk -F: \
'{print $1":"$2":"$3":"$4":des_users:0:0:"$5":"$6":"$7}' > master.nis

On the FreeBSD machine:

removed system accounts from master.nis
# cat /etc/master.passwd master.nis > new.passwd
removed +:::: entry in new.passwd
# pw_mkdb new.passwd

In /etc/login.conf i uncommented the entry "des_users" because the nis passwords
are in des format.

Now we can login without the nis server, but i still have to take care of groups.

Heinrich