Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:24:45 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com>, Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

On Sep 14, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> wrote:

> "Americans have never shrunk from battle, nor have we ever given in,
> and we will not do so now."

If that isn't hollow rhetoric, I don't know what is... dear, oh dear. You
see, this is the problem with people in power. They think they have to
fight. If they thought to themselves 'actually, we could just try and talk
to the people behind this' then perhaps the world would be a nicer place.
But then, I'm only 23 so probably don't 'understand' the world. Ho-hum.

> "Something has happened that had never happened before: in one stroke,
> so many people were killed, all of them innocent"

ROFL. This guy believed what he was saying, right?

> America is in serious need of a lesson in humility and historical
> perspective, though I concede that this is a horrible way to learn
> such a lesson, and I would not wish it upon anyone.

Well, first of all, I don't think America does - I think these individuals
and those running the media (or at least running the interviews) do.

There was some very interesting debating going on last night on a BBC
program you may not know - Question Time - regarding these issues and the
attitudes 'America' has to 'The World' and 'The World' has to 'America'. I
think the problems caused by collective grouping and stereo-typing like that
might be something that this event will help make history - the enemy is not
'Muslims' or 'Afghanistan', but rather 20+ people. Many are starting to
realise that now.

On the 'good' side, it now looks like the original death toll figures were
overestimates. The Register is reporting that even though Morgan Stanley had
3,500 employees over 25 floors of the WTC, only 15 are currently missing
which is bordering on miraculous. If you consider that out of over 50,000
people less than 5,000 are still missing, AND people are still coming out of
there alive, things are starting to look a hell of a lot more miraculous
than they did when it first happened. Not much comfort to those whose loved
ones are one of the 5,000 still unaccounted for though.

--
PR