Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:06:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape/Linux on FreeBSD an other horrors ...

DU> So turn off Java-scripting, visit http://www.netscape.com/ and
DU> they will point you to their download site.  Select Netscape for
DU> FreeBSD and download it.  Before installing, check in

Why do it the hard way?  Go to the /usr/ports/www/netscape-XXX
directory (depending on which version you want) and type "make".  Let
the ports system do the work for you.  You might need to do the actual
download, but that's an easy step to do.

DU> already.  Keep java-scripting turned off and your Netscape
DU> installation will be stable.  Allowing strangers to execute

I run with JavaScript on all the time without problems (both on
FreeBSD and BSD/OS desktops).  The trick I found is to turn off Java
on both platforms (and on Linux too).

DU> arbitrary java-script code on your machine is, IMHO, not very
DU> security-conscious, anyway.

Yes, but it makes your web experience less and less satisfying these
days.