Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 21:48:07 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@sub21-156.member.dsl-only.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 07:12:52PM -0400, wolf wrote:
> vmware 2 won't run XP, etc on an athlon
>
> The highest OS I've tested it with is windows 98.
>
> the higher os's do something ssid or something or other (advanced cpu
> instructions) which cause the guest os to puke.
>
> SweeTLeaF wrote:
>
> >I am wanting to try VMware to emulate XP and have a few questions for
> >those who are using it.
> >
> >Currently i am booting between , freebsd, redhat and XP. These OS's
> >are already installed on their own native partitions. This is my first
> >question, I want to use freebsd as my host OS for vmware: Can i tell
> >vmware to use the already existing NTFS partition and ext3 "linux"
> >partition like you can in wine or do i have to reinstall both linux
> >and XP under vmware emulation?  I really don't want to reinstall XP
> >and Redhat as they are all setup and running great.  If this is
> >feasible please elaborate or point to reference material as the vmware
> >guide suggest you have to install all the virtual hosts OS's under
> >vmware emulation.
> >
> >Memory: I have a athlon 1800+ with 256/ddr 2100 ram...is this enough
> >to run all 3 OS's @ the same time, and if not what would be the
> >recommended amount?
> >

> >Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> >By the way is 4.7 release out? The reason i ask is because i see the
> >4.7 dir on the ftp, but there is no disk 1 there is 2,3,4 but no 1.
> >The first disk says 4.7rc2.....is this the first disk for the final
> >4.7 rel?

I had Win2k Pro installed on the vmware2 port just a few days ago,
everything seemed to work find including networking.  However, I unistalled
the whole thing as it is a big ugly beast - both vmware and win2k.  By the
way, does anyone know of a reasonable way to get at the contents of *.exe
self-extracting archives.  This problem was what led me to fiddle with vmware
in the first place.

Nathan