Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2008 08:04:11 +0100
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@onelab2.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Driver for Asus P7131 and other SAA-based cards ? (was Re: kbtv2 sound saa.c -- And BETA3 available)

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 11:13:03PM +0100, Danny Pansters wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 March 2008 21:51:42 you wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 03:25:09AM +0100, Danny Pansters wrote:
> > ..
> >
> > > I don't want to be pedantic but I would like see a report of any such
> > > panic with the kbtv2-kmod-saa port first before I start changing all
> > > sorts of things. Or get it myself.
> >
> > Hi,
> > let me take this message as a chance to ask whether there is any
> > work in progress on supporting (on FreeBSD) newer SAA-based cards such as
> > the Asus P7131 Hybrid - especially, any support for the dvb decoder part ?
> >
> > I can certainly work on this a bit, but would be glad to know
> > if i can start from something more than kmod-saa (which does not
> > seem to have dvb support, and in this specific case does not
> > even find the tuner).
> >
> > thanks
> > luigi
>
> I think you'd want to look into linux' dvb stuff, they seem to have tuning
> split out now. I have no idea if the saa713x A/V decoder code could be used
> at all (doesn't dvb nescessarily involve mpeg?). Does it get you composite
> video?

haven't tried yet, i didn't have a source at hand.
But looking at the linux driver (which is what i
was already doing) it seems that this board (and most of those
equipped with the tda10046 dvb decoder) needs to download
some firmware before tuner and decoder can be accessed.
This probably explains why scanning the I2C bus only detects the EEPROM
and nothing else.

> Sorry I don't know more. Here in Holland, if you receive DVB-T at all it's my
> understanding that only the 3 public stations are FTA. I'm still on analog
> cable (though their reception is digital nowadays, it shows in the sort of
> artifacts I can sometimes see), and I hope to keep it that way for a long
> time coming ;-)
>
> BTW, I know that "Raaf" (of pwcbsd fame) has a DVB driver for some device, and
> also there's another guy who sometimes posts here that has a driver for a
> hauppauge "NOVA" card which is also DVB-T IIRC.

ok - thanks for all the pointers. I will keep the list posted
if i make some progress.

cheers
luigi