Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:29:00 -0400
From:      "jason" <jasonc@concentric.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Missing Operating System

4 times in a row now I have had the same trouble.  I have a old Pentium 100
box with 500MB SCSI drive which is not upgradeable because due to BIOS
issues.

I had a minimal BSD install and Sendmail running before but somehow screwed
up Sendmail to the point it would not run anymore.  I was trying to find a
way to make sendmail relay for certain individuals who have accounts without
having using their own email programs.

Because things were so bad I decided to start over from scratch but am
unable to boot the OS.  Here is what I am doing:
1-Booted on Floppy created with latest flp files on the freebsd ftp site.
2-Selected auto for the partitioning and file system creation.
3-Selected minimal for install type.
4-Selected ftp.freebsd.org as install media source.
5-Selected Commit.

It takes hours to download and install over my 144k IDSL line and when
completed it asks if I want to view any post install options.  I say no and
exit the installer.
It reboots and after the memory check it states "Missing Operating System"
and freezes.

I have done this 3 times now and have had the same result.  The version it
is trying to install is 4.3-Release (at least that's what it tells me.

any ideas?