Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:30:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dirk Kleinhesselink <dkleinh@phy.ucsf.EDU>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help installing FreeBSD 4.0 on AlphaStation 200

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> > > No.  The TGA is not supported.
> > If I can't use it for a non-graphic text console, what card can I use for
> > this ?  Or is FreeBSD/alpha only a head-less OS ?  I find it very bad that
>
> I've used S3Virge etc cards with success. Even an ISA ET4000 works in my
> Miata MX5.
>
> > the official DEC/Compaq systems don't work with FreeBSD, given that
> > XFree86 has support for TGA and the *other guys* (Linux/NetBSD) can handle
> > them...
>
> I'm afraid this means that you will have to write TGA support code
> yourself.  It probably boils down to people owning a TGA and having enough
> time and willing to spend the time.
I have no idea how to write a driver -- I'm an old FORTRAN coder.  I guess
I'm confused, because FreeBSD won't boot from the ARC/AlphaBIOS and so the
only machines one can use for it are "real DEC/Compaq" machines -- I
would've figured that the DEC/Compaq machines that ran UNIX (or
OpenVMS) would run FreeBSD, but I guess this isn't the case.  Are there
any video cards supported by Digital UNIX/Tru64/OpenVMS that will
work with FreeBSD ?