Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 13:00:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/12059: math/siag port fixed, upgraded to 3.1.16

The following reply was made to PR ports/12059; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To: sheldonh@uunet.co.za (Sheldon Hearn)
Cc: freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 15:52:45 -0400 (EDT)

 Sheldon Hearn once wrote:

 > I would  have hoped that  my previous efforts  to assist you  would be
 > remembered when I kept my comment brief. I see that I assumed to much,
 > and I'm sorry to have upset you.

 I thought, I addressed those "previous efforts" by the (once again):

 	My version of  port is quite different from the  old one, so
 	please  forgive me  for providing  the complete  replacement
 	rather patches.

 The fact,  that you  ingored this  paragraph (or so  it seemed)  is what
 upset me.

 > All I can say  about the diff vs tarball issue is  that we should have
 > this discussion again when you've used CVS in public. And FreeBSD does
 > have quite a large, eagle-eyed public.

 I understand  why diffs are better  when the changes are  incremental --
 the major benefit being, that it  makes it easier to see what's changed.
 But I felt  that in this case the differences  are substantial enough to
 call for  total replacement (the  port went  from Siag 3.1.9  to 3.1.16,
 which  now consists  of several  more  executables, uses  gdbm and  TCL,
 etc.).

 The diffs can be  obtained from the the full port and  the full port can
 be obtained from the diffs, so  this really is a matter of preference...
 You generally prefer  the diffs -- fine.  In this case, I  felt the full
 replacement is due, and _explained why_. You chose to discipline me...

 > Having said that, though, please do accept my apologies. It was not my
 > intention to belittle your efforts to benefit the project.

 Ok.

 	-mi