Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:28:58 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Bill Moran" <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Welders causing dial-out to fail

It may not be the proximity of the equipment itself, but the proximity of
electrical wiring to telco wiring or computer equipment somewhere in the
building.  Also, all the computer and telco equipment should be on circuits well
isolated from those supplying the heavy equipment, and they should be further
isolated with battery-backup UPS units.  Your problem sounds like simple
intereference right on the telephone line (if it's audible to you, it's
practically unusable to a modem), but you may eventually experience other
problems with hardware if you have glitches in the power supply.  Disks are said
to be especially sensitive to power supply changes; it reduces their life
expectancies, apparently.