Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 03:22:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Thomas Seck <tmseck-lists@netcologne.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?)

* Ceri Davies (setantae@submonkey.net):

> On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:02:55AM +0100, Thomas Seck wrote:
>>
>> Basically, you want others to do the developing, testing and patching
>> and keep the complaining part for yourself.
>
> Umm, there aren't any patches for Marc to apply.
> If there were, then this whole discussion wouldn't even be here (because he
> wouldn't be having problems with -stable in the first place).
>
> I also find people telling Marc that he should do some development, or acting
> as though he is somewhat lacking in clue, is rather amusing.

Always happy to serve. But please read my mail Marc had replied to -
especially the part not quoted in his reply to get my meaning. If I were
in Marc's position I would run -RELEASE and generate patches for new
features and bugfixes myself from -STABLE after review and test. Yes,
this means definitely a lot more work than the occasional CVSup - make
world - cycle. But after all, that's what system administration is all
about.

> I agree with Marc when he suggests that people shouldn't be performing MFCs
> that they're not prepared to support; while -current may be for developers,
> they should keep in mind that -stable and the release branches formed from it
> are for the users and this should justify more attention than it currently is
> getting.

Agreed. But keep in mind that FreeBSD is still a volunteer project. Most
developers develop for fun - doing maintenance and support is not fun...

     --Thomas